12 Ways to Boost The Value of Your Home
Whether you’re ready to sell or just want to improve a few things around the house, there are many simple ways to add value to your home. Ideas range from simple DIY updates to full-scale remodels and major investments that pay off in the long-term. Here are a few of our favorites.
Simple DIY Projects
- Paint – Painting walls, trim, decks and even the exterior of your home is one of the most cost-effective ways to make your home look more clean, modern and updated. The best part? You can save money by doing it yourself. Want to start somewhere easy; start with your front door!
- Consider an Energy Audit – Making your house more efficient is a great way to add value to your home. Many energy companies offer free audits which can help you (and future owners) maximize energy efficiency and save you money in the long run. (See a previous article on energy efficiency.)
- Landscape – A well manicured yard with clean, simple landscaping adds to the curb appeal and overall value of your home. From shrubs and flowers to trees and fresh mulch, it’s a simple DIY improvement.
- Update Bathrooms – A full bathroom remodel can be expensive and isn’t always necessary, so start with small updates like light fixtures, mirrors, vanity, window treatments, tile, flooring, paint, etc.
- Update Your Kitchen – Kitchen updates can get expensive, so the key here is choosing to update things one at a time. Here are some ideas to get you started: replace the sink and/or faucet, replace the flooring, paint and replace hardware on cabinets, upgrade to marble countertops, or replace appliances with stainless steel models.
- Get Organized – A clutter-free home is more valuable to homebuyers. Check out The Container Store for simple storage solutions for your kitchen cabinets, closets, garage, basement and laundry room.
- Pace Yourself – The key to making improvements to your home on a budget is taking each project one at a time. If you start long before you’re ready to sell, you’ll not only love living in your home more, you also won’t be scrambling to improve everything all at once when you’re ready to list your home.
Ready to Make Major Improvements?
- Remodel Your Kitchen – From replacing cabinets, countertops, flooring, fixtures, appliances to rearranging the space to meet your exact needs, the options for a kitchen remodel are practically endless. Major kitchen remodels almost always give you a positive ROI.
- Remodel Your Bathroom – Not unlike kitchen remodels, bathroom remodels are typically a safe bet in terms of adding a ton of value to your home. Consider updating tile, showers, bathtubs, sinks and flooring. You may even look into expanding a master bathroom to increase the space and make room for additional storage and/or a larger tub or shower.
- Think Solar – Solar panels for your roof are a major investment, but in the long-run, you will drastically reduce your energy costs and carbon footprint. An energy audit—mentioned above—can help you determine if this is a good choice for your home.
- Replace or Refinish Flooring – Get rid of old or outdated carpet and tile, or refinish worn out hardwood flooring.
- Consult a Pro – Hiring an interior decorator is a great way to get ideas and inspiration for décor improvements that will make your house look so amazing you may never want to leave! An easy way for your home to be instantly more valuable is to update blinds, window treatments, furniture, art, light fixtures, etc.
When you’re ready to buy or sell a home, Space Simply agents are here to help! Contact us today with a quick note or give us a call at 515-423-0899.
View this content and more! Sign up for a FREE membership. Start Here